Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One boat, one bite

The snowflakes this morning were pretty, winter-idyllic. A pity it's getting progressively colder.

Chessica: 9
Dave: 3

D'oh!

Got B1 to try chicken yesterday, at dinner, part of our One Bite rule with dinner, trying to get him to try a bite of new foods. That was semi-epic, had Spousette and me both leaning on him around 45 minutes to get him to try it (which involved Spousette and me trying every negotiating trick in the book).

Eventually, I resorted to a bogus threat to eat a little toy boat of his if he didn't try the chicken ("Don't make me eat this boat!!") I dangled it over my mouth "A Fish Called Wanda"-style, and that persuaded him to try the chicken (B1: Noooo! Don't eat the boat!!!!), and actually made him laugh, watching me pretend to eat the boat (perching it in my mouth by my fingers, like it was a Communion wafer), which broke the tension of the moment. Once he tried the chicken, I gave him back his toy boat. I do like that he thinks I'd actually eat a small plastic boat (roughly the size of a Matchbox car) to prove my point. I've still got him fooled.

Anyway, he tolerated the chicken, and when presented with the option of One Bite of broccoli or or rice, he said he'd have another bite of chicken, so we claimed that as a parental victory in the ongoing food wars.

No comments: