Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Whole Enchilada

Music: "Take the Money and Run," Steve Miller Band

Well, that's it, then.

I got an end-of-day call-in from 3-D, with Tsarina lurking in a chair. I'm expected to do the whole deal, now that Splints is leaving. On the bright side, they're going to pay me extra per page for the additional work until the conversion occurs; on the dark side, there's NFW I can do it for long -- I told them as much, that all I could do was try, that I wasn't sure if it could actually be done. Supposedly it'll be for the next couple of months, as they continue to try to ramrod Red Tide through the works.

I told 3-D: "You know, I've always been the good soldier at this place, always tried to do the job efficiently, and I got things done, but I don't want to be forgotten when this work's finished, expected to fall on my sword as a reward for my hard work."

3-D acknowledged that in his typically dirtbaggy way, like without giving anything in return, of course. 3-D said this and that, but it was clear to me that they have no other option right now; I could've probably dicked them, but as I see it, I'm going to escape as soon as I can, and as soon as something better comes, I'm on it, and they can stuff it.

Meantime, there was also noise made that even as our workgroup (Tsunami and Tide) get assimilated by the New Order, I'd be moved to doing my current work to the Miscellaneous Group, doing what CHA used to do, since they're not planning any more conversions anytime soon, until they get our current group converted, and that they'd try to find me something afterward, didn't want me to leave, blah blah blah.

I didn't lose my temper or anything, just played it cool, will keep to my plan of getting the f*ck out of there as soon as I can, regardless. I told 3-D that I had been greatly disappointed when I'd gotten passed up for [managerial spot] after having done my job well, being told that I was too valuable in my current position to be moved, and that I didn't want a repeat of that with this.

Supposedly I'll get final say on the work that I do, with Jungle not able to tweak things. But we'll see how that goes. I'm sure Jungle will hate that.

Short-term, it'll mean I'll make far more money than I'm currently making. It'll also mean a shitload more work -- I made it clear to 3-D and Tsarina that I truly doubted that it could be done, that I'd be juggling four plates from the end of canes, and that I doubted I'd be able to keep all four running on schedule.

I don't intend to work overtime; I'll just be Johnny Fucking Paycheck and get as much work done as I can during the day. I'm not going to get stressed about it, I'll just work and get my ass out of there. I'm so hardened, so jaded, all I thought about while this went on was "Great, more fodder for the resumé."

They probably think I'm an icecube, because I was nearly emotionless in the exchange, largely unfazed. It's because I have no respect for Bizarroworld, for 3-D, Tsarina, or their whole New Order plan.

1 comment:

Foxy Knitter said...

Wow! I had a feeling they might try to pull this, but it's still incredibly stupid and short-sighted on their part. At least they're paying you more. They wouldn't do the same at my current workplace. When Decaf Skippy left, they didn't replace him but shunted his work onto a woman in his dept. and refused to give her a raise or title change for all the extra work. When she confronted her boss about it, Boss said, "Well, we rewarded you by giving you this very important project! It shows we trust you." Stupid managers!