Monday, July 9, 2007

Disabled

The Internets at home was screwy over the weekend, irritatingly enough. I should probably recap the vacation, but meh, sez I. I'm back at work, my mood in the dumps, as ever. I could feel my mood slowly downward-spiraling as I neared the inevitable return. It's funny, but I lose track of what day it even is if I'm not at work. Isn't that funny? Utterly unstuck in time I become! Vacation 1 is down; Vacation 2 looms in early August.

So, I'd mentioned getting yet another rejection on a story, right? It was one I thought was my best, and was said to be a strong story, one the reviewer greatly enjoyed, but wasn't quite right for the magazine I sent it to. One of the suggestions was to shorten it a little, so I cut 1100 words from it; now it's something like 7.5K long, which might help it land somewhere. Sigh. I just can't win.

Speaking of winning, a buddy of mine won first place in a writing competition, earning the $2,000 first prize! I joked with him before submission time that if I didn't enter it, he'd have a great chance of winning (he'd told me about it, but it was too near the deadline for me to whip anything up for it). And sure enough, he won! That's a huge feather in his cap. Prizes are a great way for no-name writers to raise their profile. I need to do more of that, I guess, since my profile is non-existent.

1 comment:

Foxy Knitter said...

I wondered why you were so quiet this weekend. ;-) Sorry about the story rejection. The contest angle is definitely worth exploring, though.