Friday, July 13, 2007

Lucky Strikes

Hey, today's Friday the 13th! Woooo!

Yesterday was gorgeous. Amazing clouds in the sky, like mountains. I took several pictures of them, they were so lovely. The wind was really strong, made the bike ride home hellishly slow, wore me out near to breaking! One neat thing as I went along the piers across from Buckingham Fountain -- the wind was so strong, it was taking lines and rigging on the masts of all of the sailing boats and thrumming it against the masts, making a wind chime kind of symphony out of the masts, all different tones. I wished I'd had some audio recording equipment handy to catch it; it would've been a good addition for NPR's "Lost and Found Sound" -- I don't know if they're still doing that, but it was really neat.

We went to the lakeshore, near the breakwater, past the "Castaways" fake ship. It was fun to see all the stuff going on: the volleyball; the dodgeball/bombardment; a hippy chick doing hula hoop on the beach, entirely in her own world; some kids playing with giant orange frisbees (they were as big as trash can lids; all the bikers, joggers, people on the dating prowl, while the City began to light up as the sun went down, the land breeze cool and pleasant, the lake softly surging. It was really pleasant, although as the sun went down, I couldn't help but think of "The Lost Boys" -- the press of people everywhere, the carnival atmosphere, all of that.

I'm glad it's Friday; we're doing stuff with friends on Sunday, and I think we'll go downtown Saturday, show B1 the globes they've got lined up all over the park. He'd love that, I think.

No comments: