Friday, July 27, 2007

Polyanna Candymint and friends

Had to take down an amusing person I saw on the bus yesterday -- I'm guessing she was a 17-year-old (maybe 18), looked kind of Afro-Cuban. Pretty, had her hair back in restive ponytail, with an artfully stray curlicue of hair hanging over her forehead. Anyway, it was her wardrobe that was gloriously over the top:

She had a white halter top trimmed with yellow that had a bright pink comic strip print on it (I couldn't read most of it; there was a man and a woman in a city setting, the woman said "You STILL don't have a cellphone?"). Tied to her waist was a sky-blue cardigan, over a melon-colored blousy miniskirt. She had a sea of pink and other-colored metallic bangle bracelets at her left wrist, and then a few other bright colored bangles on the other wrist. Her fingernails were painted silver. And best of all, she had rainbow-colored knee socks with black ballerina flats. And tied at her ankle, visible because it was over her knee sock, was a very thin red and yellow friendship anklet.

I dubbed that girl "Polyanna Candymint" in my head, if I'd made her a character. She had a great look. If I was still an art fag teenager, I'd have definitely thought she was awesome! She was cute, too. Rainbow (Coalition) Brite lives on!

What else? I had a few transit encounters the other day --

First, this old toad woman cut in front of me to get to the bus, but (gloriously) the driver stopped in front of her, then passed her and stopped in front of me, which made the toad woman grimace in disgust, since I now blocked her, and got on ahead of her.

Similarly, I had another run-in with Betty Bus-Brinksmanship, this weird gal at my one stop who HAS. TO. BE. FIRST. ON. – she paces at the stop until she sees the bus, and then she zips back and forth to get to where she thinks the stopping spot will be, cutting all the other passengers off, and then when the bus passed her, she quickly shot behind and around me to try to board, but I stepped right at the curb to stay ahead of her (just b/c she’s really annoying about it) and she still tried to cut in front of me as we boarded, but I thwarted her with an outstretched shoulder. I'd have thrown that shoulder, checking her into the Lexan if she'd tried to pass me.

Finally, this morning, I had an encounter on the elevator...I’m on there with this balding guy (4th floor) and this tall black woman (2nd floor), and as the elevator is going up, I heave a sigh, and the balding guy says to me “A deep breath. Gearing up. Girding your loins. Readying yourself for battle, eh?” and I said “Uh, that’s it.” And he said “Well, look at it this way: It’s FRIDAY!” (big grin) I said, “Well, it’s Friday morning; that’s another thing, entirely.” And he laughed at that, and, thank you fucking Jesus, I was at my floor and made my escape.

1 comment:

Foxy Knitter said...

Girding your loins??? That guy should *not* have been talking about your loins or anyone else's. *shudder*