Thursday, July 12, 2007

Titanium toes and laser discs

I really, really need to get some steel- or titanium-toed slippers. Christ. Years ago, I nearly punted a cast-iron table with my left foot, nearly broke a couple of toes, broke some toenails. Anyway, I have a weekly track record of toe-stubbings. I swear, I should track it, see how often I do it. This morning, I whacked my left foot against my sneakers, tore free one of those toenails that hadn't ever fully recovered from the whacking of years ago -- imagine the toenail like the hood of a car, flipping up from my toe. Aughh! I didn't want to rip the bastard off entirely, so I peroxided it after taking my morning shower, then bandaged it so it wouldn't snag on my socks when I put'em on. What a PITA! So irksome.

My upper left arm is blistered from the sunburn I got a week ago. I've been putting aloe on it. I'm such a sun sissy. I've joked with Spousette that if we ever moved to Hawaii, I'd have to become nocturnal. I told her I'm built for clouds, cold, and snow. Give me a kilt, a claymore, and some Highlands to feud upon and I'm good. Spousette's all for the sun and the warmth. B1 is like her, like fair but doesn't burn (that magic mix!) while B2 and I burn very quickly! B2 is like a little marshmallow, is only starting to get a few freckles across his cute baby button nose.

Got our new DVD player (B2 had trashed the old one). The new one is so nice and compact; it's a fraction of the size of the other one (imagine an encyclopedia -- it's about that same length, but thinner). Gotta love miniaturization, baby! Hopefully B2 won't demolish this one, too, since it's light enough for him to pick up and hurl, our little Luddite! I was going through DVD withdrawal, so I'm glad it showed up when it did.

Shallot didn't invite me to her birthday outing this weekend. I'd love to know what her reasons are, although I doubt I'd know for sure if it was real or bullshit. I only found out about it from Homegrrl, and asked Leona if she was going, too. Maybe she thought it should be girls' night out or something, is doing her patented friend triage, or else figured I'd not turn up, or she's got some boy in tow and doesn't want me to tease or embarrass her while she's impression-managing the fella, or else she's miffed at me for some obscure reason. Ah, well. I wished her a happy birthday, anyway, to be gentlemanly. But if you know me, you know that sensible people want me at their parties, because, as Homegrrl puts it, I'm a "Sparklie" -- I light up in social settings.

After today I'll have logged nearly 225 miles on the bike in three weeks! Woot!

No comments: